Monday, November 15, 2010

Welcome!


See, she looks just like me!

Amelia,

After many months of waiting, I'd like to be the first to say, "Welcome"! Your mom and I have been hoping, praying, and expecting for quite some time now. It seems that a lifetime has passed since I sat in my office in Wetumpka, Alabama reading a text message from your mom that asked, "Do you want your 3rd child to be a boy or a girl?" Since then, we've started a new life in a familiar place. Your brother and sister have adjusted well, and they're ready for you to be big enough to play with. One of the great advantages to being here right now is that our family, extended and immediate, is here. I should go ahead and warn you, we have a big family. Before you and your siblings get old enough to date, we'll probably have to move for you to have any chance of finding a match that is not a cousin of some variety.

I think you'll like it here. I'm excited that my children are going to get the opportunity to enjoy the nurture and care of so many people that were important in my life. I took your sister to school this morning, and I couldn't help but think about the days that I spent walking down kindergarten hall at Dixon on my way to Mrs. Steber's class. Sunday morning as I walked with your brother into Sunday School, I remembered butter cookies, Kool-Aid, and stories about Jesus, Noah, and Moses, all shared with love. Saturday, they got the chance to go on a boat ride with your Nana and Pop. Don't worry dear, your time will come soon enough.

I've got a lot to share with you. You're kind of a big deal. Really. When we told your brother and sister about you, big sis had a pretty good question. "Daddy, why do we need another baby?" Putting on my Mike Brady hat...



(Season 1 Mike Brady. After the perm entered the picture, I think it would have been difficult for him to wear a hat)

I came up with the most fatherly answer I could think of: "Because our family has so much love that we thought we needed one more person to share it with." It turns out I was right. You've stolen my heart already. I know that there will be some hard days along the way and you may not always like me very much, but I can't wait to see what your future holds. So, stretch out, make yourself at home, and make plans to enjoy yourself, Miss Landry.

Love,

Your Daddy.

2 comments: