Thursday, June 24, 2010

Today's Adventure

So, today I had my first real adventure since moving back to the Bayou. Any of you that have seen me lately know that I'm a man of significant constitution, and as such could probably stand to lose a few pounds. In view of helping me on that quest, and also to get the opportunity to spend some time together, my dad invested in a two-man kayak. This afternoon after work, we met at Landry Boatworks and headed up the Bayou. Our adventure yielded a few important observations:

1. A two-man kayak is infinitely more difficult to operate than a one-man kayak. Both operators were men with a good general knowledge of watercraft operation. Lesser men might have never made it. Men, never take your wives anywhere in a two-man kayak.

2. The distance from Landry Boatworks to the small bridge at the end of E. Davenport St. seems much longer when it is made under paddle power.

3. I had no idea how many Alligator Gars lived in the Bayou. Note to self: Avoid falling in as you may be eaten alive by a pack of mutant gars...

4. Apparently there is no way to paddle a kayak without getting yourself wet. In the cool waters of the Coosa this was quite refreshing. In the Bayou, maybe not so much. Which leads me to my next observation.

5. After you've doused yourself with water from the Bayou, you carry a distinctive aroma with you for the rest of the day.

6. I've got a great Dad. I'll be 29 next month and his role in my life has changed, but I was reminded today of the important role that fathers play in our lives. When we weren't paddling in opposite directions, we made a pretty good team, and I learned some things about my hometown that I never knew. Also, he demonstrated his characteristic patience as I expended a lot of paddling energy with little positive result. More importantly, I got the opportunity to spend time with the most influential man in my life, and I'm grateful for that.

7. At the end of a two-hour kayak trip, you get pretty tired. I'm pretty certain I used muscles that aren't a part of my normal routine. (Since my normal routine includes a lot of talking, studying, and writing, there aren't many muscles that are part of my daily circuit)

8. I think this would be even more fun if you were fishing. Plus, there's always the possibility that one of the mutant gars could tow you home...


So, that's all for today. I've always lived by the philosophy, "it's not the destination, it's the journey" and today proved that out. My roundtrip voyage from Landry Boatworks to Landry Boatworks will go down as a high point of my first few weeks home, and I hope that it's something that I'm able to do again soon.

2 comments:

  1. While we will miss you in Wetu I am so glad you are back where you can enjoy your family and your parents can enjoy the babies. Good luck with everything and may God continue to bless all of you. Emily Williford

    ReplyDelete