Thursday, August 4, 2011

30 for 30: Part III

Part I:
Part II:

5) Life calls for a few indulgences. I really do wish I was more disciplined and I have a great admiration for people who demonstrate a high-level of personal discipline on a regular basis. I attempt to discipline myself and I'd like to think that I do well in certain areas. Today was an ice cream day, however. I volunteered to help with supper tonight and made a quick trip to Greer's to pick up a few things for the meal. Upon exiting the store, Suzanne called to remind me to get Pedialyte for Amelia. You see, after Suzanne had an appointment today and Maggie got a cap on her trip to the dentist, Amelia was diagnosed with a nasty case of hand, foot, and mouth disease. I headed down to CVS to pick up the Pedialyte and came to an important realization: My family needs ice cream tonight. As luck would have it, the Edy's was on sale, so we got ice cream. After supper, Maggie and I sat down to share a bowl of dulce de leche. It wasn't all that great, but I'm a firm believer that the only bad ice cream is that which is not found in my bowl. Tonight, my daughter and I shared a few moments of bliss. It was a waste of money and a waste of calories. It kept her up past her bedtime. It was completely worth it and I plan to do it again soon. I hope that I will embrace a more disciplined life in the days ahead, but I also hope that there will always be room for ice cream.

6) I wish that reality tv would die a quick painless death. Others have said it more eloquently, but I'm deeply saddened that my children will never know what a regular tv show looks like. As I write tonight's observations, the Food Network is playing in the background. I love the Food Network, but I would give anything if they would get rid of all of the horrible "competitions". I don't need to see anybody else make a big overly decorated cake or cupcake tower. I don't care about any of the interpersonal drama that gets "cooked up" (so punny!) on the show. I'd like an entertaining and informative look at where food comes from, how it can be prepared, and/or places that it is served. Also, Guy Fieri looks like Ed Hardy has decided to produce its own line of middle-aged men who are trying too hard to be edgy. But, I digress. People like Martin Luther King, Jr. had really important dreams, I just dream about a world without reality tv. Is that too much to ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment