Monday, August 23, 2010

Hungry?



Hunger is one of the least pleasant experiences we can have as humans, isn't it? Over the past two weeks, I've started an effort to lose a few of these unsightly pounds (and I carry a number of them). The problem is that I hate to be hungry and I love to enjoy food. It consumes my thoughts, blurs my vision, and drives me to extraordinary measures to pursue it. Food can only be truly appreciated by those who are hungry for it. As I drove into town today, I faced a minor pang of hunger. Even through this light distraction, all of my thoughts turned to my hunger. Each restaurant I passed called to me with the promise of some delicacy that would sate my desire for lunch. This hunger controlled everything that I did. Until I took the opportunity to eat lunch, my focus was on nothing but my desire food.

Similarly, in the past 24 hours I've found myself filled with deep spiritual dissatisfaction. I'm hungry to see God grow me more into the man that He is making me to be. I want to see Him working in the hearts and lives of our church so that He would be glorified in our midst and that we would take action to spread His fame to the world beyond our walls. Last night and today, I've prayed for God to give us a vision for how He would use us as a part of the church's mission on Earth.

Today, I was reminded of the words of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount:

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
Matthew 5:6


May we all hunger and thirst for the righteousness of Christ in our selves, our families, and our churches. May we see that hunger filled. Would you join me in praying?

No comments:

Post a Comment