Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Nerds!!!


Just a little eye-candy for the readers...


Greetings from N. Wintzell! Sorry I missed posting yesterday. As I cruised Facebook earlier in the week, I came across an article that really caught my attention. One of the young ladies at our church posted a note describing the cutthroat world of academic competition. It was a thoroughly enjoyable read, and I think it captured the essence of what will be taking place over the next few months in high schools across the country over the next few months.

The article resonated with me because it was something I could readily relate to. Once upon a time, I was an academic gladiator. Stepping from the gridiron to those hallowed halls of academia at Faulkner State Community College in Bay Minette was something akin to taking a trip down the rabbit hole. On the football field, it was easy to spot danger. When you were faced with a hulking behemoth that appeared fully capable of tearing you limb from limb, he probably could, and you could prepare yourself accordingly. During my first Spring practice at Grand Bay, I was thrown as a lamb amongst wolves into a varsity football practice as a 7th grader. My devotional life grew by leaps and bounds as I stared death in the face multiple times a day.

Scholar's Bowl and HiQ offer a different set of obstacles. Danger was not as easy to spot in academic circles. That weird-looking kid with 1,267 buttons of bands that you've never heard of on his book bag? Silent academic assassin. The girl carrying on a conversation with her stuffed animal? Shakespeare expert. The beautiful blonde? A plant to distract you from the moderator. It's a virtual minefield designed to prevent you from achieving glory for you and your school.

I was never that crazy about HiQ, but Scholar's Bowl was my first love. There's only been one thing in my life that I was truly exceptional at, and it was Scholar's Bowl. I may not look like much, but put a buzzer in my hand and watch out! I got an early start. PACE students in Mobile County got to participate in a special, once-a-year Scholar's Bowl at Mobile College (University of Mobile). As we prepared for our first competition, another mother cautioned my Mom, "Now, he's probably going to be timid at first. Don't be surprised if he doesn't answer any questions, or if he doesn't even press his buzzer. Most kids are pretty scared their first time at Scholar's Bowl, but be patient with him, and he'll get better as he goes along."

There are a few moments in life where things just click. When I held the buzzer for the first time that day, it just felt right. I went crazy. I had no fear of the buzzer, or of the competition. It was the beginning of a beautiful relationship that would endure for nine more years. In the 7th grade, I started attending Grand Bay. By a quirk of scheduling, I ended up in the only 7th grade science class taught by the high school Biology teacher, Linda France. As fate would have it, she was the sponsor for the high school's Scholar's Bowl team. We talked one day, and she invited me to stay after school one day for practice. It was a serendipitous moment.

I made the team that year and got to hang out with the varsity Scholar's Bowl team (how nerdy does that sound?) I got to play pretty regularly, and answered a decent number of questions. 8th grade rolled around and brought me a spot as the Captain of the JV team. I was the leading scorer and team MVP. 9th grade saw a promotion back to the Varsity team and a spot on the County All-Star team. 10th grade held our first County championship and recognition as the second-highest scorer in the league. My last two years saw less team success, but greater individual honors as I led the County in scoring both years.

For a kid that nothing came very naturally to, this was a revelation. Football required hours and hours of training my mind and body for Friday Night combat. On the football field, I was an offensive linemen. Offensive linemen tend to be a rather unassuming bunch. They tend to be relatively large young men who toil in anonymity while their teammates gain glory. Even defensive linemen get the opportunity to have a moment in the sun when they make a tackle. There is no such glory for the offensive linemen. When these guys are doing their job the best, you never notice they are there. You only see them when they screw up. Offensive linemen gain attention by missing blocks, holding, or jumping offsides (great moments all). When I went to those Scholar's Bowl competitions, I got to be something of a celebrity, and it felt good.

With that backdrop, you can imagine my interest as I read the aforementioned post. I'm now a washed-up old has-been, but I still think back occasionally to those halcyon days of my youth and smile as I remember the fun that I had competing. My favorite part of the article was the comments section that followed. I got to witness actual academic trash-talk. We didn't have Facebook to do this with back in ye olden days, but I don't know if it would have happened even if it did. While I loved Scholar's Bowl, I worked to identify myself as a football player. I'm not quite sure why (other than the obvious nerd connotations) but Scholar's Bowl was as important to me as any football game.

Academic athletes, enjoy yourself this year. I love you and understand you, because I was one of you. The best part about going to an academic competition is the level of weirdness that you can encounter each and every go-around. You'll find kids at every Scholar's bowl match who are completely comfortable with expressing themselves by whatever means necessary. You never have to worry, "Is my personal interest too strange or nerdy to be expressed here?" So students, when you're up to your elbows in current events articles, short stories, or lists of dates and places, don't stress out. Remember that you are a part of a special fraternity of men and women who seek the knowledge of the obscure. Have a blast, enjoy hanging out with your team, don't get too frustrated if things don't go well, and know that you too may one day be writing a semi-coherent blog about your glory days as a member of the Scholar's Bowl team.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome, man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! My husband and I were both scholars bowl and hi-q nerds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha! I love it! I feel so honored!! I don't even know how to express how excited this blog made me. :) It's terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have fond memories of Hi-Q and scholar's Bowl as well. You are much too modest Clint. You used to buzz in with the correct answer before the question was even finished. If anyone could claim to have ESP, it was you! A very worthy pursuit.

    ReplyDelete