Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Homecoming


Consider yourself invited!


It's an exciting week here on N.Wintzell. The church is abuzz as we prepare to celebrate Homecoming here at First Baptist. I believe it's going to be a good day in the life of our church. If you've never had the opportunity to participate in homecoming at a small-town church, you've missed out. Sunday will be a day of reflection and remembrance, of celebration and of tears. We'll fondly think back to days gone by and we will join hands in a prayer of hope for the future.

The old girl will celebrate her 129th this week. That's quite an accomplishment in an era where our institutions struggle to survive. She's been battered by storms, physical and otherwise. She's had some bad days. She's still here.

This will be my first opportunity to participate in a homecoming since I was a child here. The homecoming committee asked me to preach this year, given the unique set of circumstances concerning my call as pastor. I'm happy to do it and I'm praying that God would speak to His people through me Sunday. I look forward to welcoming old friends and family back home Sunday. We'll embrace and celebrate what the Lord has done.

As I look back on my relationship with the church, I smile when I think about good days. I remember many hours spent playing in the church yard, enjoying fellowship meals with the best gumbo in the world, and the men standing around the coffee pot chatting about the goings on in the wide world. The kitchen here was where I first learned that the coffee pot was the men's territory. I think about children's camps, youth trips, and Vacation Bible Schools. I was the worst arts and crafts student in the history of VBS, if you were curious. My mediocre abilities ruined the experience for all parties involved. I still break out in hives when I see popsicle sticks and pipe cleaners. I remember old friends. Some of them have been taken home and some of them are away.

Sometimes I think about the difficult days that we've been through. I'm thankful for faithful men and women who cared enough to keep things going through dark times. I'm glad that through the ups and downs of the life of the church, God's seen us through. I'm glad that He's given us "a future and a hope".

Over the past 129 years, I know our church has made an impact. I don't have to go far to see it, hear it, and feel it. If you are out there reading this post and you're one of those folks, consider this a personal invitation to come out and join us this Sunday. Whether you are nearby are far away, come home this Sunday at 10:30. We'll have the gumbo ready for dinner on the grounds and we'll be waiting for you, here on N. Wintzell.

No comments:

Post a Comment