Friday, October 1, 2010

Perks of the Job


Greetings, friends!

So, I don't have anything profound to write about today (ok, maybe I never have anything profound to write about, but thanks for reading anyway). But I thought I would share a little bit of my week with you. Wednesday I got to enjoy one of the real perks of my job as pastor here at FBC Bayou La Batre. One of the ways that church members often show appreciation to their ministers is by providing them with food. Over the course of my years in ministry, that food has come in the form of scuppernongs, barbecue, yard eggs, and a number of other delights. All were good. This week, that tradition of dining excellence reached an apex as a church member called me to give my family some shrimp he had caught the night before.

Needless to say, I was happy to receive the gift. Last night, our family sat down to one of the best meals I've ever eaten. It was a simple meal: fried shrimp, french fries, and hush puppies. It was perfect. What made the meal? First and foremost, the company was outstanding. Sharing a great meal with family is an incredible joy, that most of us don't do often enough. Second, it was nice to be blessed with a gift from a church member. I'm thankful that God's people appreciate the service I offer to the church and choose to bless me in return.

I would be remiss, however, if I failed to make note of the crucial role that the main ingredient made in the meal. Without the shrimp, the fries and hush puppies would have made a pretty mediocre meal. You can go to almost any grocery store in our nation and buy shrimp, but there's nothing like those beautiful white shrimp caught on our Alabama Gulf Coast. For my out of town friends, they may cost a little more and you may have to look a little harder, but I promise you, it will be worth the effort.

For more info on Alabama wild shrimp, check out thislink.

No comments:

Post a Comment