Thursday, December 16, 2010

My View from N. Wintzell 12/16/10




Tomorrow marks an important milestone in my life and ministry, as the 17th will see celebrate my 6-month anniversary in the pastorate. It's been an exciting ride so far, and it's been filled with more joy than I could have possibly imagined. Like any other job (yes, I know it's a calling. I'm not trying to be unspiritual, I just recognize that the calling that God has placed on my life also puts food on my family's table) there are some days that are better than others, but in the past 48 hours I've been incredibly blessed by the opportunity to minister in a unique way.

When I arrived in my office on Wednesday morning, I was greeted with a voice mail that had arrived early that morning. The person on the other end is someone that I know fairly well, and he requested that I call him as soon as possible. A bit later as I returned his call he passed on a bit of surprising news. Someone he knew had felt led of God to provide a financial gift to a particular person in our community. The money passed through several channels to get to this person, and I was the last stop. My instructions were to deliver the gift along with the message that "someone was listening to God and wanted you to have this".

After meeting the previous courier, I made my way towards the recipients house and after two fruitless trips Wednesday afternoon, I decided I would have to wait for Thursday morning when I knew that this person would be home. This morning, I headed over first thing and had a good visit and had the opportunity to listen for a few minutes as this person shared about a significant and unexpected need that had arisen the previous afternoon. This was the reason they were not at home when I made my earlier attempts. As I presented this person with an envelope and told my story, I listened as the person I was visiting with confessed that they had not been able to follow through with fixing their problem the day before because, as you've guessed, they didn't have the money. Over the next few minutes we wept together, we rejoiced together, and we lifted up a prayer of thanksgiving to God together. As I walked away from this mornings experience, the words of this dear person rang in my ears throughout the rest of the day: "How could God be so good to me?"

That's a good question. I don't believe in the prosperity gospel. I believe that suffering is a real part of the experience of a disciple of Christ. Today I was reminded that my God is a provider. As this dear saint had spent the previous night crying out to Him for help, they had no idea that a Baptist preacher had knocked at their door two times that afternoon with the necessary provision for their need.

I'm glad that somebody listened to God. I don't know that this story will make it backwards through all of the necessary channels to get to that person or not, but I hope it does. I know that God is a provider, but sometimes our blessings come as gifts from others. I noted to myself this morning that I had the best job in the world. I got to deliver a gift from somebody to somebody. I was entrusted with someone else's money and I got to pass it along to someone with a need.

I think that's probably the way that it always is with God. Perhaps if we recognized that the money that we cling on to is His anyway, we wouldn't worry so much about giving it away. Maybe if we realized that it was His, we could let go of it, and be cheerful givers. If I recognized that I am a steward of God's resources and not their owner, I might experience the joy of blessing others more often. Maybe I'd worry less when I'm in need myself. I think I could say like Paul,

18 I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Philippians 4:18-20

That's my view, anyway, from here on N. Wintzell.

No comments:

Post a Comment