Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Bayou Top 10: #9

Continuing our series of the Bayou top 10 is something that is often associated with my hometown, but it's not always considered one its more desirable attributes. Monday morning I left the house early on my way to visit with one of our families at the hospital, and as I pulled out of the driveway, it hit me. We've been back for about 6 weeks now and I hadn't even noticed it was missing until Monday. What is it, you ask?



The Smell...

If you are from the Bayou or if you've visited much you probably know what I'm talking about. That mixture of brackish water, seafood, and sundry other scents combines to create an aroma that's unmistakable. The smell of the Bayou has been the source of some derision directed towards our lovely city, and I think it's a bit unfair.

I spent the 7th-11th grades at Grand Bay, and endured my share of Bayou jokes. Many of them were focused on The Smell. Whenever those jokes came, I was reminded of something my dad often told me whenever I was at work at the shipyard. If you've ever had the opportunity to work in the hold of a shrimp boat, you know that The Smell doesn't go away any time soon.

Me: Dad, it really stinks in here.
Dad: Smells like money to me.


And therein lies the heart of the entire situation. Every time that you are hit by The Smell, it means that somebody in the Bayou made a living that day. When you smell The Smell, another oyster has been shucked, another crab has been picked, and another boat has unloaded its catch. When you smell the salt water, know that it's carrying in another boat to be repaired by another welder, sand blaster, or painter.

This week I can turn on my tv and watch a show featuring a boat built here in Bayou La Batre. I can go pop in a DVD and find one of our hometown products carrying a certain infamous captain. Under different circumstances, I could travel through our country and enjoy the finest seafood available and know that it came from here. That's something to be proud of.

It may not always smell pleasant.
But, it smells like home to me.

1 comment:

  1. I won't ever complain about that smell again, thanks Clint! Your cousin Sheri

    ReplyDelete