Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Bayou Top 10

Coming home has been a blast so far. To all of our friends and family, thanks for helping us with the transition. One of the best parts about this homecoming has been all of the things that I've gotten reacquainted with, that I never realized I'd missed. I could go on and on about some of the items that I've fallen in love with, but I thought it might be best to present them to you in the form of a Top 10 (I like lists, they keep me in order). So, I present to you today #10 on the Bayou Top 10:





Crawfish flavored potato chips? What could possibly go wrong?


#10- Zapp's Potato Chips
Zapp's Potato Chips, made at the chippery in Gramercy, Louisiana are simply the finest potato chips known to man. If you've never had the opportunity to sit down with a bag of Cajun Crawtators, you've missed an opportunity to enjoy what the good folks at Zapp's describe as "the taste of a Cajun boiled seafood feast that goes crunch and your mouth goes wow!" I can't say that I disagree with them.

There was some debate about the inclusion of the Zapp's chip on this list. My wife reminded me that Zapp's chips are available region-wide. I noted that the Bear (if you're reading my blog and don't know who I'm talking about read this) was a Golden Flake man. My moment of relief came when I realized that Coach Bryant passed in 1983, two years before the founding of Zapp's Potato Chips in 1985 by Ron Zappe. With those hurdles cleared, Zapp's had to make the list.

So, why Zapp's? Three words: crawfish flavored chips. There are some ideas that are floating around in the ether waiting for the right man at the right moment to grab hold of, and I'm glad that Mr. Zappe found this one. While the Crawtator is the premiere flavor, all of Zapp's unique flavors are excellent. Some personal favorites include Cajun Dill, Cracked Pepper and Sea Salt, and Hotter n' Hot Jalapeno. Listen to this testimonial: "My friend, Brent, ate 6 bags one night and swore he was having a heart attack. A quick trip to the emergency room and the $800 E.K.G. bill later determined it was semi-terminal indigestion and jalapeno overload". With reviews like these, you don't want to miss out.

Another favorite of Zapp's fans are the limited edition chips, which come in flavors such as Caribbean Key Lime, Spicy Creole Tomato spiked with Tobasco, and Voodoo Gumbo. Mr. Zappe, for your many contributions to my current state of physical fitness and for launching the potato chip industry into bold new directions, I salute you! Do you have a favorite Zapp's product? If so, share your favorites in the comments section below, and stay on the lookout for more of our continuing series on the Bayou Top 10.

1 comment: