Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My View from N. Wintzell

As I sit in my office here at First Baptist Church (located at 13500 N. Wintzell)I'm hoping to expand the blog and its role in my ministry. My initial purpose in writing the blog has been to give folks in our community an opportunity to know what is going on in our church family. If you have items of interest that you think people ought to be aware of, please let me know, and I'd love to pass them along.

I'm now three weeks into my blogging career, and as of this writing, I've had just over 1,200 page loads. I'd like to thank all of you who've taken the opportunity to read A View from N. Wintzell. I'm blessed to have 5 or 6 regular readers now, but special thanks go out to my parents, who have reloaded the page 1,180 times.

Tonight at First Baptist, we'll join together for prayer meeting and Bible study. If you're in the area, we'd love to have you come out as we enjoy the fellowship with God and each other. It's a time where we share our needs and concerns, and we take them to God in prayer. Our meeting is casual. We'll be back in the Fellowship Hall, with a couple of pots of coffee on. As I understand it, drinking coffee during our prayer meeting makes us very cutting-edge in terms of our ministry. Who knew?

After our prayer time, we will take a few minutes to open God's Word and continue our study through the book of James. I've enjoyed studying this book with our folks so far, because James cuts through one of the major disconnects between the Church and the world. James defines faith in a little different way than most of us do. Like most of us, I tend to think of my faith in terms of the things that I believe. My inclination is to limit faith to a tidy collection of orthodox beliefs. As long as my beliefs are true, my faith must be strong, right?

According to James, mature faith is marked by action. Affirming a proper set of tenets is insufficient; true faith is fleshed out as we live our beliefs. Tonight, we're going to take a look at James 2:14-26. Come on out and join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment