Thursday, July 22, 2010

My View from N. Wintzell 7/21/10

It's been a good day here on N. Wintzell. I had the opportunity to visit with an old friend this morning and reminisce about days past. My beautiful wife invited me to lunch at the Lighthouse where I enjoyed one of the better shrimp poboys I've ever had. I must say that the meal was enhanced greatly by my company. I returned to the church office after lunch and was productive as I prepared for this Sunday's services, but the afternoon did come with a bit of a surprise.

I had a visitor come to my office. He was an older gentleman and he introduced himself and told me that he was with a group from Marion, South Carolina who were passing through on their way to Houston. In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, they were a part of a team of volunteers from their church who came to help clean up after the storm. They had come in the immediate aftermath and were curious to see what condition the church was in now.

It was a joy to be able to show them the fruits of their (and many others') labors. I got to take them to a beautiful auditorium with like new pews, new carpet, lighting, and sound that were all of the product of groups like theirs that had shared the love of Christ with us. As we talked and I had the opportunity to thank them for their work, I couldn't help but think of Paul's words to the Galatian believers:

9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. 10 So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.
Galatians 6:9-10

In letters to the Galatians, Ephesians, and Timothy, Paul uses the image of a household, a family, to describe us as believers. I'm thankful that I've got a family that loves me, both physically and spiritually. It's a blessing to know that, whatever storm may come, I'm a part of the household of faith that will be there to support me. As believers, we are never alone, because we've been brought into a family with an awful lot of brothers and sisters.

A few weeks ago, as my family ate lunch in McDonald's, I had the opportunity to speak to some cousins that I hadn't seen in quite a while. When I finished and returned to my seat, Maggie asked me who those people were that I was talking to. I told her that those folks were her cousins. Since we've returned home, Maggie's learned that she has many more cousins than she ever knew about, and with her head swimming she told me, "Daddy, I can't have anymore cousins".

I'm glad that God has opened up the door for me to be a part of His family. Today, I met some members of the family that I'd never been introduced to before. I met some people that cared enough about the household of faith to travel all the way from South Carolina to offer their time and sweat to do good unto us. I think I'm going to do my best to do the same.

That's my view anyway, from here on N. Wintzell.

No comments:

Post a Comment