Tuesday, September 28, 2010

In the Air



It's Here!

If you are one of my local readers, then you've probably joined me over the past two days in savoring one of the best experiences of the year: The 2 weeks of Fall on the Gulf Coast. This morning I left the house early, with the slightest nip in the air, low humidity, and bright sunshine for the remainder of the day. Enjoy it folks, because it will be gone before you know it.

During our sojourn in central Alabama, we grew to enjoy Fall even more, since we got to experience it for more than a fortnight. One of the highlights every year was watching the leaves change color. For Suzanne and I, this was a new experience. Growing up in a pecan orchard, I was used to leaves that just turned brown and died. Not so in Wetumpka. Every year, we watched with delight as the trees around town provided a pleasant display. We would take the kids to the pumpkin patch, take lots of pictures, and grab a pumpkin for jack-o-lantern carving.

Last year, our interest in Fall rose to new levels as Suzanne and I took an anniversary trip to New England. We were there for Columbus Day weekend, and drove through Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. For a kid from Bayou La Batre, Alabama, it was a little overwhelming. As we drove through the Berkshires, Adirondacks, Green, and White Mountains, it looked like the world was on fire. We visited farmers' markets, apple orchards, and a bed and breakfast. It was all very Newhart. It changed my perspective on Fall and was a trip that Suzanne and I will never forget and would love to repeat.

I was amazed by the reaction of some of the people we met along the way, to our leaf-peeping adventure. "Why would you want to come here"? "They're just leaves". "They have a means of conveyance in Alabama that will bring you here"? "They let you in"? The marvel we observed with fresh eyes had become commonplace to the people who were most familiar with it. We had the experience of a lifetime; they were just experiencing life.

And so it is in my walk with Christ. How often do I treat the grace of God as a base thing? Have I lost my sense of wonder at the mystery of the faith? When I consider the returning King, am I filled with awe at His majesty?

That's what I'm wondering, here on N. Wintzell.

No comments:

Post a Comment