Friday, September 17, 2010

Football Friday: Homecoming Edition

It's that time again! Friday night's almost upon us and excitement is in the air as the young men and women along N. Wintzell and other points across southern Mobile County prepare for Homecoming Weekend at Alma Bryant High School. Tonight, the class of 2001 will be honored, the Queen will be crowned, and preparations will begin for Saturday night's dance.

If you live in Bayou La Batre, Irvington, or Grand Bay and need a haircut tomorrow, good luck. Teenage girls in search of the perfect 'do will be out in full force, and they'll get started early. Our girls will transform into beautiful young ladies, while our boys will look like big-eared kids with bad haircuts wearing Dad's suit. (Sorry guys, I was there once myself) I don't really know why this works out that way. I think girls must be born with a certain amount of glamour built in. Boys obviously do not. Regardless, our handsome (goofy-looking) young men and attractive young women will have a good time this weekend, while we old timers will hang around the game and remember when.

On with the Preview!

1) Bryant vs. Baker
Looks like a great opportunity for the Canes to jump start their season with a win in the region. Here's hoping our boys are primed to go out and make a good showing.

2)Alabama vs. Duke
I think the Tide will get to test out their young defensive backfield against a team that has had a lot of success throwing the football under Coach Cutcliffe's tutelage. I want to see them pass this test with flying colors, stay healthy, and get ready for a tough road trip to play the Hogs in Arkansas next week.

3)Auburn vs. Clemson
I don't know a lot about Clemson and based on the quality of their first two opponents, it's hard to get a bead on where they stand as of right now. They're going into a hostile environment to play the other Tigers and we should find out a lot about Clemson. Auburn's a bit of a mystery right now as well. If you could combine the defensive performance against Mississippi St. with the offensive output from the Arkansas St. game, you've got a team that could make a lot of noise. Conversely, if you swapped it around, you'd have a whole heap of mediocrity. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. Regardless, I believe that the Tigers will win this one.

4)New Orleans vs. San Francisco
Have I mentioned that the Saints won the Super Bowl last year? I'm still flying high after last season, so I don't think I would be that greatly affected by even the worst possible outcome for this year. The Saints travel to San Fran for a Monday Night match-up. I don't know how to handle success. I keep waiting to wake up from this beautiful dream. Will it happen at the hands of the 49ers? I think not!

No comments:

Post a Comment