Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Senior Adult Sunday

It's been a good week so far, here on N. Wintzell. The Labor Day holiday was beautiful. I had the opportunity to spend a little bit of time with Dad out on the water and it couldn't have been a better day for it. The lunch menu included shrimp and bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin. Shrimp, bacon, and pork tenderloin all make the list of foods that are hard to mess up.

Going into the weekend, I was concerned about our attendance, given the holiday weekend and the beautiful weather. We launched a new young adult Sunday School class, and I was hoping for a big day. Imagine my surprise when I saw that hope realized! I'm blessed by people who are faithful to the church and take the opportunity to be involved in it. On Labor Day weekend, we had our highest Sunday School attendance to date in my short tenure at FBC. I'm excited about what God is doing in our midst and hope to see God continue to grow the ministry of His church.

I'm excited about this Sunday because it will see us recognize a group of folks that may often go overlooked in the life of the church: Senior Adults. Every time I talk to people that are "in the know" about church growth, we inevitably talk about the challenges of involving young families and young adults in the church. How can we engage them? What are their needs and interests? What can we do to minister to them? I believe that these are important questions and that we should be asking them. I recognize, however, that none of us is asking those kinds of questions about our senior adults. For many congregations (ours included) those seniors have been the backbone for years and continue in that role today. They are faithful to pray, give, and participate in the ministries of the church. Unfortunately, their faithfulness leads us to take their contributions for granted. When someone has served in the church for 40, 50, or 60 years we may not see the value of their service.

With that in mind, Senior Adult Sunday provides us with an opportunity to recognize these men and women and to thank them for the many ways that they contribute to the work of the Kingdom, both in days past and in days to come. My life has been enriched by many seniors. I'm continually blessed by their prayers, love, and encouragement. I'm thankful for the legacy of faithfulness that these men and women have prepared for myself and other leaders to inherit.

This week, when you see a Senior Adult, take the opportunity to hug their necks. Engage them in conversation. Spend time with them. Let them know that you care about them, and thank them for the love that they have offered you. Hopefully I'll make it to Senior Adult status one day (discounts at the Golden Corral!)and I hope that when I do I will carry with me the same kind of legacy that I've seen in the lives of so many men and women I've known in my life. That's my view, anyway, from here on N. Wintzell

No comments:

Post a Comment