Friday, September 3, 2010

The Weekend Ahead

Since football has officially arrived with the kickoff of the college football season last night, I thought I'd give y'all a quick overview of my thoughts going into the weekend! Disclaimer: I don't plan on giving any predictions on scores etc. Because I really have no idea what I'm talking about, but perhaps I'll be able to provide a little bit of out of the box insight.

Friday Night: September 3rd

Alma Bryant vs. Mattie T. Blount

I'll be on the sidelines for this one, and I'm hoping for a good showing by the alma mater. Both teams are coming off of tough losses. Bryant fell to Daphne last week, while Blount took it on the chin in Prattville. This is a region game, and a win would go a long way towards Bryant's aspirations to return to the playoffs in 2010. Whenever I think of Blount, I will always remember their 1998 squad, which featured DeMarco McNeal and Deandre Green, two of the most physically imposing high school football players I've ever seen. As a senior, we watched game film of them in preparation for our matchup with Vigor, and I remember thinking "I'm glad they're in 5A".

Saturday: September 4th

Penn State vs. Youngstown St.

I don't really have any doubt about the outcome of this one, but I will be interested to get a preview of Penn St. prior to next week's clash at Bryant-Denny.

Alabama/Auburn vs. Directional Institution of Your Choice

Not a lot to be excited about in either of these matchups, but it's honest to goodness football featuring our state teams. If these games aren't blowouts, there will be an awful lot of teeth-gnashing around the state. Stay safe boys and get ready for next week! Also, this puts another week closer to the return of Marcel Dareus and Mark Ingram.

North Carolina vs. LSU

Will there be any Tar Heels left to play in this game? Apparently Les Miles is living right, because a win here will only be remembered as a win vs. UNC, a favorite to win the ACC, not as a win against UNC, a team that may not be able to field a complete defense because of Agentgate. A big win here also may help cool Miles' seat a little bit. All fans of the SEC West ought to be cheering for LSU (regional pride, etc.) because, otherwise, they might fire Miles and hire a competent head coach.

Monday: September 6th

Boise State vs. Virginia Tech

In the most exciting matchup of the weekend, I hope to see Virginia Tech smash Boise. I don't like Boise. Not there blue turf, not their dipsy-doo trickeroo plays, their weak schedule, or their chest-thumping about the greatness of their great win over Oklahoma a few years back. Tech, strike a blow for the big boys and end the Cinderella talk now.

No comments:

Post a Comment